- This event has passed.
Time for a rethink? Why economics education needs to change
March 26, 2019 @ 6:00 pm - 7:30 pm
For decades, students have raised concerns that the economic education they receive in the classroom bears little relation to the world around them. Financial crashes, global warming, rising inequality – the problems that lead students to study economics – currently have little place in Economics curricula.
How can we hope to build a build an economy that serves our people and our planet without giving our future economists a diversity of views and the skills to critique the current economic model?
Rethinking Economics and the Wellbeing Economy Alliance Scotland are delighted to invite you to Time for a rethink? Why economics education needs to change. During this seminar we will discuss the need for economic education reform to achieve the systemic change required to re-orientate our economy, and the opportunities in Scotland to bring about that change.
This event will bring together students, academics and members of civil society and business to:
- Discuss the need for economics education reform
- Identify the barriers to change
- Ask how we can work together to promote economic education reform in Scotland
Speakers will include:
– Dr. Katherine Trebeck, Wellbeing Economy Alliance
– Gary Gillespie, Chief Economic Adviser, Scottish Government (tbc)
– Student Organisers from the Rethinking Economics Network
The discussion will be followed by drinks and networking.
If you wish to attend, please sign up for this free event here: